Configure your email settings
Email notifications are an important way for Loomio to keep people updated on what’s happening in your group.
Above shows an older Loomio, but it’s still a great explainer. We’ll upgrade it soon!
When you (or your group members) start your account, by default, Loomio will:
- send you a daily summary email of everything you missed the day before
- let you know when someone’s trying to get your attention via mentions & replies
- subscribe upon participation, sending emails for every comment on threads you’re interested in.
- immediately email you when someone asks for your attention: notifications of polls or proposals or thread invitations
This helps to keep people engaged in the early stages of a group. We set this default assuming that you and your group members will not yet have a habit of using Loomio regularly. For this reason, the default makes it easier for you to stay up to date via your email inbox.
To change these settings, go to your notification settings, where all of your overarching notification settings live. Find it in the user menu by clicking on your name in the top-left; if it is closed, click on the menu icon (top-left) to open it. Then click the cog icon / Notification settings.
Notification preferences: all groups
In this section of the overarching Notification settings page, you can select the defaults that affect all your groups:
- receive emails whenever there is activity (subscribed)
- use the normal setting (again, when someone asks for your attention)
- choose to receive no notifications (ignore)
Notification preferences: a specific group
Notification settings for each specific group are found in your Loomio group. To find it
- Click on your group page
- Click on the tab, Settings
- Email settings will be the first listed
You can apply this setting to the organization (a.k.a. parent group) alone or to the parent group and all of its subgroups.
Your profile page lets you customize your Loomio identity. To visit your profile page select the edit profile option in the user menu.
Uploading a profile photo
When you first create a Loomio account, your initials will be the default image associated with your profile. You can upload a profile photo by clicking on your picture on the profile page. If you have a Gravatar you can set that as your profile picture by selecting Use Gravatar. You can also choose for Loomio to use the photo you use for other common platforms/tools.
Update your personal info
You can update:
- your name
- your email address - this email receives your Loomio notifications (on, by default)
- your username - your username is a name people can use to alert you with an @mention in threads
- your introduction - a few lines to let others in your group know more about you
- your location - useful for distributed or remote groups so people can get an idea of where others are
Loomio is developed in English, but is translated by volunteers into many languages.
Loomio will detect your browser’s language settings, but you can manually set your preferred language from the profile page.
Resetting your password
You can change your password by visiting your profile page and clicking Reset Password. The profile page is located via the user menu; the video just above will show you where.
Deactivating your account
For more information on deactivating, or recovering, your account, go to the Your Profile article
Now that you have the basics under your belt… → Activate your group