If you are using Loomio for governance in your board, committee or trust—or in many ‘formal’ or ‘structured’ group settings—here are some simple processes you can use to improve communication and make timely decisions.
You can find this video’s script here
The above video covers these key workflows:
- Ratify or approve meeting minutes (this can save a lot of time in your meetings)
- Better prepare for meeting (checks if material has been read and remind group to do so)
- Make a decision between meetings (especially time sensitive ones)
Create a place for your board
A Loomio group is a secure online place for your board. A Loomio group helps you increase communication and continue work between meetings, connecting your members wherever they are and at a time that suits them.
1) In the Group description box write a clear purpose for why you have set up this group and a reason why people should join. For example; “This is the place for our board to have discussions and make decisions between meetings. Let’s save time, save on email and have better meetings.”
2) Consider what kind of decisions we will make in this group. For example; “Decisions we make on Loomio between meetings will be acknowledged in the minutes of the next board meeting.”
3) Consider who is involved and what we expect of each other. For example; “This is a private group for access by directors, CEO and company secretary. Feel free to contribute and raise new topics by starting a new thread.”
4) Consider how will Loomio complement our existing processes? For example; “We will use Loomio to set the board meeting agenda, prepare and upload board papers, agree actions, approve meeting minutes and discuss issues we do not have time to cover during meetings.”
Supercharge your meetings
Engage your board by announcing the next meeting and inviting contribution to agenda items. This is a great way to help board members to prepare and arrive at the meeting in context.
1) A week before your meeting, start a discussion thread to announce the meeting details.
Attach any documents and include all relevant details, links, and files so that people have them all in one place. Putting this information in the thread’s context, which always remains at the top of the discussion, makes them easy for everyone to find.
You may also invite members to ask any questions prior to the meeting. This is helpful to gain some insight about any concerns and what people are thinking.
2) Invite agenda points from your board by starting a Check.
Set the Check to close at the time the meeting starts; this way everyone will get a reminder 24 hours beforehand.
3) During the meeting, continue discussion topics on Loomio
During notice which topics require more space than time allows in the meeting. Start a Loomio thread about each topic and invite members to continue discussion beyond the meeting.
For example; “In our last board meeting, we had little time to discuss our insurance options…”
4) After the meeting sign off minutes with Check
After the meeting, update the meeting thread with a summary and note action items agreed.
Create another Check in the same thread, and attach or link to the meeting minutes document. Give people a few days to sign off the minutes and confirm their action points.
5) Make a decision between meetings
From time to time you may need to make a decision between meetings. Loomio makes this easy.
Set up a thread with the topic; for example “Directors and Officers Liability Insurance for 2019”
Add any relevant documents and supporting materials; for example “Please see last year’s insurance schedule and an offer for renewal from our insurance provider.”
Start a Proposal to make a decision; for example “I accept the D&O insurance offer from ABC Insurance Co.”
Invite members to vote and comment. A reminder will be sent from Loomio 24 hours before the decision closes.
When the poll closes, set an outcome; for example “Thanks for voting, our decision is to accept the offer. I will now complete the paperwork.”
The decision can then be acknowledged and ratified at the next board meeting.
6) Review history and build an auditable archive
Loomio stores a record of your meeting and the work between meetings, developing a searchable archive, with auditable decision trail.